Saturday, January 21, 2012

Community

When our heavy snows fell a month ago it buried food sources for the deer and elk population. Elk can be hardier simply given their ominous size and reach, but deer can have more of a challenge rooting about for grain. This year, in particular, because last spring’s snows were so heavy and fell so late, the does fawned late too and their babies seem to have just barely outgrown their spots before winter.

I feed the bird population and, inadvertently, the squirrel population but haven’t been motivated to help the deer until this season. I found reasonably priced bags of corn and, immediately after the 23” of powder fell, drew a line in the snow with piles of it. Within a few minutes I had 14 deer devouring the prize. They returned for a few days and, when the piles of snow subsided and bits of lilac branch and tuft reappeared, wandered off for fresher meals.

Except for a lone doe and, eventually, the small family of a four-point buck, his harem doe and her twin scruffy fawns. I’ve named the buck White Face because his entire snout from nose to eyes is white and, unless I’m mistaken, at least one of the nearlings bears similar markings. I haven’t named the others yet – they’ll let me know when it’s time.

Much as I’d selfishly like to tame them enough to eat out of my hand it’s doom to their safety. Like hungry feral cats when I step outside they know food is on the way but are uncertain of the messenger. I coo and talk quietly to calm them while walking in their midst with a big bowl of corn, yet they dart away until I pour the corn in their now habitual feeding arena. Then they settle in, ever wary, crunching and mawing the feed.

Today was different. A third fawn arrived with the family and competition was higher than I’d seen. After a few moments feeding, White Face methodically drove everyone else away. I deposited another bowl of corn ten feet from him under another tree and the doe and three fawns began feeding on that until the doe drove the new fawn away. These posturings continued until I stood on my stoop with another small bowl of corn in anticipation of placing it somewhere safe and apart for the renegade fawn.

And then it simply stopped. They all fed peacefully and, when done, dropped forelegs first and settled into rest position to chew their cud. White Face lay apart from the others, watchful of his brood. Then they rose and moved on.

This is my home. This is my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment